Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Question for God

Why is spiritual discipline so much harder than physical?

That's the question on deck this morning as I prepare for a long day at work and pack for the gym time I'll fit in afterward - when I'm tired and want to just sleep.  I've already touched on my food-related self control issues in a previous post, but outside of that, my self-discipline is, well, satisfactory. Physically.  I'll get up at 5am for a workout, push out the extra few reps at the gym, train like an athlete (even when I'm not competing) all under my own discipline. I know the goal and I'm willing to work for it.  Somehow though, when a much larger, significantly more substantial reward is at stake (see: salvation), remaining disciplined is waaaayyyy harder.



Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. 
(1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NLT)



This blog is about my growth. This is an area in which I need to grow.....I need to spiritually grow the heck up. It's not that I don't want to be the most spiritually disciplined chick on the block, it's just a constant struggle to purpose every single step.  Only through prayer and grace....

~gg~

No comments:

Post a Comment