Thursday, October 14, 2010

This week's challenge

Don't just pretend that you love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Stand on the side of the good.
(Romans 12:9 NLT)

This is my current struggle. Let's face it, not everyone in our lives is easy to love. It might be a family member, a friend we've had for years, a classmate, a supervisor or a co-worker (that last one was for me!) - but there is someone who knows how to push out buttons.  Recently, I've been trying to make a conscious effort to be nice to the person in my life who is like that.  "If nothing else," I thought "I'll just pretend to like her."

Then I read Romans.

This particular passage of scripture doesn't say anything about me having to be her best friend, but it does say that my love should be genuine. I'm not just glossing over with a smile and then cursing her behind her back....which I'm tempted to do sometimes. So, I'm praying for a forgiving and patient heart without hate or malice and the capacity to genuinely love....even her. 

I told you guys already: I'm a work in progress.

~gg~

No comments:

Post a Comment